Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pretty* Jason Birthday Time


Why is that dog barking? It’s a peaceful November night in the suburbs, there is no reason for that dog to be barking the way it is. Someone should tell it that is being rude…oh..wait…what is that 13-year-old girl doing with that toilet paper? Are those her sisters? I don’t understand. I hope they aren’t doing anything destructive, that’s such a nice family in that house. Isn’t he a pastor? Yes, yes, I think that’s right. And they have three children, such nice children, what a lovely family they are. I hope these shenanigans are harmless. Are those balloons? Oh I give up. I’m going to bed.

_______________________

Every late November since I was thirteen or fourteen I would pile into the car with my sisters (or once, just my father) and do some sort of Jason-focused prank (which inevitably meant that it was pretty*). See, Jason Phillip Kircher’s birthday is on November 25th and I have felt since I met him that it deserves to be celebrated in a special way. Good friends are like that, you know, you want to do something special for them sometimes…like fill their rooms with streamers and glitter and posters, or their front yard with photographs of them and toilet paper, or give them things in Jell-o.

This year though, sadly, I write from a distance.

This distance means that, for the first time since almost I met Jason Kircher, he did not wake up with a prank waiting on his doorstep. I cannot tell you how sad that makes me. So, as an alternative, I decided to write a little bit about him and what his friendship has been in my life in the last 10ish years.

At the risk of sounding like an obituary, here goes…

Jason is one of the most faithful friends that I have. No matter what time passes and what events occur, I can always seek him out when I need fellowship or Jesus. He was always present as a sounding board in high-school for ideas about theology and life. In fact, he still is. I told him once that he is a mix between David Crowder and Jim Halpert. He’s a friend. He is a good and hilarious friend who I can always count on to be as godly or as silly as I need him to be. I think my favorite thing about him is the fact that at any time ever I can text him and ask him to share the Gospel with me.

The Gospel is essential to life. Every day life, it isn’t just a one-time thing, and God used Jason to teach me that. I’ve told you aboutthis before, but here it is again. Each time Jason talks to me about the Gospel he tells it to me a little differently. He doesn’t change the point and purpose of the Gospel, which is Christ, rather he discusses differing aspects as to how the Gospel works in our everyday life, the ways that Christ moves within His Church and in His believers.

Just the other night (Thanksgiving), he told me about Thankfulness.

“The Gospel isn’t something you are told about. The Gospel is a holistic experience of God working in your life, day in and day out. On a day like today, the Gospel is the epitome of what we are thankful for. Thankfulness is best felt and seen when we say, like the tax collector in Luke 18, “God be merciful to me, a sinner!” We recognize the great lengths we have fallen, and beg God for grace. And because He loves us, He gives us Jesus. The incarnational, satisfying Son of God. He made the great exchange of our sin for His righteousness possible, and now we experience life. Be thankful – your day, your breath, your family, your all, is a gift from a good Father who gives good gifts to His children. And if He gave up His Son for us, how will He not give us all things? So let your heart not be troubled and keep your spirits lifted. Your God, YHWH, is for you, and loves you. Be thankful today, and ask for more grace.”

So, all that to say, thanks Jason for the friendship we have and the friend you have always been. You’re good. And always pretty*.  Happy birthday, old friend.

*This is reference to an age-old, non-flirtatious joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment