Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Headphones on the Elevated Tracks

It’s a nasty habit.

And I call it into action day after day.

I even rely on it.

I have a dependence.

On music.

I allow it to toy with my emotions.

                More than that.

                                I ask it to control them.


I want to feel a certain way
                so I play a certain song.
I want to remember a specific time
                so I peruse a specific genre.
I want to compartmentalize
                so I create a playlist.
I want to know God
                so I resurrect the same few songs.
                                over and over again
                                                and turn up the volume.
                                                                

But then it stops.
                click.

Internet blips or earbud falls
                and I remember reality.

The thing I can’t control.

The place I can’t manipulate.

The existence outside of myself.

And I wonder if any of the emotions I felt under my protective blanket of music were real.

So I begin to whistle.

And I escape the silence. 

3 comments:

  1. Great piece! I love how it captures the powers of music and circumstances beyond our control. Music protects, heals, and never fails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m writing to invite you to join the new Bible Gateway Blogger Grid (BG²). If you'd like details, please email me. Thanks. jonathan.petersen@biblegateway.com

    ReplyDelete